Saturday, July 5, 2008

First Day! Paris 2

Today was my first whole day in Paris. I got an early start waking up at 6:30 am -my body is not yet used to time difference. I was awake until 12 the previous night but was repeatedly woken up by the sound of crazy parties and loud motorbikes going down my street. Apparently people don't go to bed until 5:30 am on the weekends- I should've gone to bed at that time because it was dead quiet. When I woke, I studied french (like a good student) and had my morning tea. After that I was at a loss at what I should do. I mean, this is PARIS!! There should be oodles for me to see! I was hoping for beautiful Parisian sunshine but much to my dismay, threatening storm clouds decided to hover :(. Now my wardrobe consisted of shorts, skirts, dresses, T-shirts, 2 pairs of pants and a light jacket. I opened my window to test the weather and it was FREEEEZING! Yeah, I was unprepared. I threw on my skinny jeans, ballet flats, T and jacket (I was attempting to look Parisian.. You have know idea what they say behind your back if they can tell you're American). I also put in the ipod to appear "occupĂ©" (didn't really want anyone speaking french to me either!). I left my apartment and struggled (no joke) for 5 min tying to lock my stupid door. There isn't a doorknob so you pull on the door knocker thing while pushing at the same time to turn your key which requires more upper body strength than I have. I worked up a little sweat ( OVER LOCKING A DOOR!) and descended down the spiral staircase 3 levels (I don't have a lift in my building.. good work out though) and met the resident cat that apparently loves me and became my first friend in Paris (Patrick, tell Jackie I have the foreign cat gift as well). THEN I couldn't figure out how to get out of the complex!! I was finally in Paris and was locked in my apartment complex. What the heck was I gonna do??.. Well after looking like an idiot (thank goodness no one was around) and feeling the entire door thinking there might be a hidden or secret latch to release me, I turned to my right and saw a glowing button the stated "Porte" above it. Duh! Obviously there was no hidden, secret Indiana Jones way to get out of here.. simply press a button. I pushed it and opened the large blue door and I was out in the chilly rainy weather. I live right off Rue Montorgueil which is a pedestrian street and just the most charming thing I had ever seen. So I decided to take a walk down it and explore. All of the Boulangerie's and Fromage et Vin shops were opening and the air was soon filled with the smell of warm baguettes and croissants. I was instantly famished. I did a little grocery shopping and hurried back to my apartment to get a bite to eat before I met with the Sister Missionaries.

The Sisters arrived at my apartment to show me around a little bit so I wouldn't feel completely lost. One was from California and the other was French. They took me to visit a less active member that lives nearby. She is a middle aged convert, unmarried and the typical "cat lady". She didn't speak any english and my french was pretty poor so Sis. Marshall (CA) translated a lot.  We sang "I love to see the Temple" in french of course. ( I think I prefer hymns and primary songs in french) and taught her a lesson on genealogy. Afterwards the Sisters and I went to the church building (gorgeous, 18th century, right next to Centre Pompidou) to have lunch and to teach an english class. The rain kept most of the students at home but nonetheless we had a good time. The Sisters walked me home because I obviously didn't know where I was going and on the way I witnessed my first demonstration. It was as if every filthy grunge loving teenager in Paris gathered to smoke pot and push a Van down the street that was waving a banner with very colorful words on it. The police were everywhere! It was definitely a new
experience. 
When I got home home I showered, took a nap, and decided to curl my hair when I woke up. Not 3 minutes into curling my afro I heard a "POP!". My converter/adapter had blown. NOW I have this afro hairdo for my first day of church tomorrow! I look RiDiCuLoUs! And yes I like big hair but not when it's frizzy!! It looks like I stuck my finger in the light socket! I think this is my first trial but it's a little funny when I think about it. I can't be mad. I'm in Paris!.. Well it's about 12 am and everyone is out partying! I live on a pretty popular street I guess. I can hear the "bump bump" of The Cardigans "Lovefool" (I can't help but think of "The Office") and "American Boy" being played over and over. We'll see if I can sleep through all this partying tonight.

3 comments:

Cari Florence said...

How stinking exciting!! I can't believe that you're in Paris girl! I am so jealous :) I definitely need to go there at some point in my life. All I can say is that you are so brave to go to a foreign country all by yourself. I bet you're having the time of your life!!

Anonymous said...

does this mean you are going to stop shaving your armpits?

Anonymous said...

"The Cardigans "Lovefool" ... They sure love American music here."

Uh... the Cardigans are Swedish. :)

Where's our picture of the frizzy fro? That's what I wanna know.

Wow... nice local for your apartment. About equidistant between the Louvre and Pompidou, I figure. Not bad at all. I'm jealous.