Thursday, July 10, 2008

Gone with the..afro... PaRiS 7

Today I whined to Nicole and Allison about my afro and converter troubles. Allison suggested that I go to BHV near Hôtel de Ville because apparently they sell everything! I was honestly ecstatic! (Sad, I know). Then Nicole told me she would take me to the flea market tomorrow and buy me a new converter.. YAY!! I'll finally be set!

After school I dropped off my belongings and set off to buy my afro killer!! I was pretty self conscious today. I was feeling mega fat (the baguettes and butter were starting to take their toll) and my afro was maddening. I tried to pop my sunglasses lens into place but while I was walking, the lens shot straight out in front of me. Now I resembled the dog off of Little Rascals-one large black lens and one large black rim. Ridiculous. I picked it up and fussed over it momentarily pretending that it had just broke so that the café stalkers would stop laughing. I just had to keep thinking positively.. the afro would soon be gone.. ahh. 
I arrived at BHV and thoroughly searched 3 levels before I found it in some obscure aisle (next to clothing irons..weird). I honestly let out a little gasp of joy. I tried to quell my excitement but it was difficult :).. I shopped a little longer (they seriously have the CooLest stuff over here!) and rushed home to get rid of the fro. I stopped by Maison Collet to buy (another) baguette..yum. I jumped in the shower, STRAIGHTENED the fro and took the metro down to institute. 
Bro. and Sis. Murray taught the lesson on honesty and had various people translate it to french. One story in particular touched me. He spoke about a family in their old ward in Hawaii that had 10 children and hardly any money. It was 2 days before Christmas and the family went out to do a little shopping. One of the younger boys came across a thick envelope on the floor and gave it to his older brother who opened it and counted $300. They showed their father and asked if they could keep it. The father said it wasn't right and took the whole family to the manager to return the money. Two days later on Christmas morning the family awoke to see their front porch covered with presents and food. The ward had all pitched in to make a memorable Christmas for this family. They had not been aware of the recent experience the family had with finding the money but found out at a testimony meeting the next month. Something had touched the hearts of the people in the ward to come together to take  care of this family. It just goes to show that by living righteously, the Lord will always prepare a way for you to be blessed.
After institute I had some creeper follow me nearly all the way home. It was a little frightening. But I'm here safe and sound and ready to go to bed. 

8 comments:

EJ said...

So, I love reading your blogs about Paris!! It makes me a teensy bit (ok more than a teensy) jealous of your time there. What a wonderful opportunity! Thank you for keeping us all informed back here of your wonderful adventures. Keep them coming!! :)

AMBER said...

What is going on with my friend? I must know what is happening in Paris!

AMBER said...

Where is my friend?

AMBER said...

How is my friend?

AMBER said...

BRIT_TIT_TIT_TIT_NEY!!!!

Brittany said...

Hey Brittany! I was googling my name and found you! Looks like a dream, living in Paris. Good for you! I'm linking you to me, feel free to pop on over to peek at our crazy Idaho lives! Have fun in France!

Alicia Phelps said...

Wow Brittany! What an adventure you are on in Paris, France! I bet that is just a dream come true for you! Your blog is so fun to read! It helps the rest of us know you're OK and what Paris is like! I can only imagine how exciting it must be! Have a blast and treasure every moment! Nathan and I are treasuring every moment here at home in AZ with our new little baby Tanner! You can check out our blog if you want to see pictures. You're Awesome! Love ya!

Sarah Gilbert said...

brittany freaking blackurn. update your damn blog. haha loooove you!