Friday, July 4, 2008

Je suis arrivée!! - Paris 1


Well I am finally here. I've wanted to come to Paris for the longest time and now I am living in the cutest apartment in the heart of the city. Today is America's Birthday and I am celebrating it in Europe. Not the best planning on my part. I flew out of Phoenix last night and took a flight to London which would then connect to Paris. I sat next to the most adorable German gentleman and his partner- a British chap- that were so polite. They thought I was British (probably because my traveling outfit resembled a British school girl uniform) and were shocked when I said I was American. One of the men said I was too nice to be American mainly because the girls sitting in front of us were of USA blood and they kept leaning their seats back into our laps BEFORE dinner... very rude. The girls even called the flight attendant over to complain that our knees were digging into their backs. Now I know why a large amount of Europeans can't stand Americans. On another note, I am going to do everything in my power never to fly coach again. There was honestly zero room. On the upside, the on-flight meal actually smelled pretty good.. and then I tasted it. I still do not know what the yellow mush in the middle of the plate was. Maybe Saffron mashed potatoes? Hmmm I think I was just trying to be optimistic and sound like Top Chef. The cheesecake wasn't too bad but that was the only decent thing on the tray. 

After we landed I had to rush to my connecting flight to Paris and barely made it. The flight was very brief and once we had landed I could hardly contain my excitement. I made my way over to customs and the guard looked me up and down and proceeded to speak in rapid french I mumbled that I could only speak a little and he said I was Mignonne... noo idea what that meant. I then gathered my bags, waved goodbye to the friendly custom agents and went upstairs to find my ride into the city. I pushed through a sea of people and was relieved to see my name on a clipboard. I went over and he introduced himself as Vincent and handed me my new cell phone (pre ordered). I couldn't stop smiling. Everything was perfect! 
Instead of taking me straight to my apartment he drove to my school so I could get an idea of it's location and showed me various historical sites while giving me mini lessons on the city's history. We finally arrived at the apartment and met the owner of the school I am attending. His name is Ignacio and he is the nicest person one could ever meet, he was the one who found my apartment for me.
After everyone left I settled in and I am now watching the movie "French Kiss" to get in the Parisian mood. I think I'll attempt to sleep now because tomorrow I am going out with the Sister Missionaries! :)

5 comments:

Katrina Wright said...

What the F...

well I really feel out of the loop! you need to tell me when radiculously cool things like this are happening! you poop! Email me or something i miss you have fun!

Nic & Spence said...

Ok, I've decided that you have the greatest life ever! Im just going to live vicariously through you! =)
I think that if anyone deserves to be studying in PARIS and having some of the most amazing times ever, that it would be you! You're stunningly gorgeous Britt, and I love you to death! I just know you are going to find some ridiculously attractive Frenchman who will woo you off your feet! And I can not wait to hear all about it! God Bless! xoxo

Aubrey said...

"Are those the Italians?" haha

How fun Britt!! You need to write more on here!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. What are you studying?

How come you haven't written another entry yet? Don't you know everyone's trying to live vicariously through you!

AMBER said...

Britt!! Yay I am so so excited for you. I have been to Paris only for a few days though. It was awesome, but I am sure that you will have an incredible time there. You are so adventurous. I love it. Tell me more!